Mr Fabio De Robertis is a consultant cardiac surgeon based at Harefield Hospital, who treats both NHS and private patients.
Mr De Robertis trained as a cardiac surgeon at the University of Naples, Italy. In 2000, he joined Professor Sir Magdi Yacoub at Harefield Hospital to obtain further subspecialty training in complex cardiac conditions and transplantation.
In 2007, he completed a fellowship in mitral surgery at the Royal Brompton Hospital and in 2009 he was appointed as a consultant in cardiac surgery and transplantation.
Mr Fabio De Robertis has vast clinical expertise in many aspects of cardiac surgery, including:
- total arterial revascularisation with off-pump (beating heart) techniques
- minimally invasive cardiac surgery (MIDCAB, mini-sternotomy, mini-thoracotomy)
- valve repair or replacement
- complex mitral valve reconstructive surgery
- aortic valve and root surgery with human substitutes (homograft) and prosthetic substitutes
- chest wall reconstruction for the treatment of recurrent sternal dehiscence following cardiac surgery
- heart and lung transplantation
- surgical therapies for cardiac failure including ventricular assist device (VAD) surgery.
Mr Fabio De Robertis has a keen interest in clinical research. He has been the principal investigator for several trials in the field of revascularisation, transplantation and aortic surgery.
Mr Fabio De Robertis is the author of a benchmark paper describing the use of a short-term ventricular assist device system to support patients with end-stage cardiac failure not eligible for transplantation.
He has written chapters in books and original articles published in peer-reviewed journals including:
- Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
- Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation
- European Journal of Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Journal of Heart Valve Disease
- The Lancet Respiratory Medicine.
Mr Fabio De Robertis is frequently invited to lecture and present original scientific work at national and international meetings for surgeons, anaesthetists, nurses and physiotherapists.
- In an article published in The Independent, lung transplant recipient Sharon Brennan meets Mr Fabio De Robertis, the surgeon who performed her double lung transplant in 2013.
- This article published in the Daily Mail shares the news that a former heart transplant patient, Andrew Britton, and his wife Lauren named their son Frank Fabio after Mr Fabio De Robertis.