Professor John Pepper is a consultant cardiac surgeon at Royal Brompton and Harefield hospitals, where he treats private and NHS patients.
He was educated at the University of Cambridge and Guy’s Hospital Medical School (now part of King's College London). He then completed postgraduate training in cardiothoracic surgery at the National Heart Hospital, London Chest Hospital and Guy’s Hospital.
He was a consultant cardiothoracic surgeon at London Chest Hospital and St George’s Hospital before moving to Royal Brompton Hospital.
In June 2015, Professor Pepper was awarded an Order of the British Empire (OBE) for services to heart and lung surgery, in Her Majesty the Queen's birthday honours.
Professor Pepper is head of surgical research and education and interim director of research at Royal Brompton and Harefield hospitals.
Professor Pepper's clinical expertise includes treating patients with:
- aortic disease - aortic dissection or aortic stenosis
- diseases of the aortic valve and thoracic aorta.
Within Royal Brompton and Harefield hospitals, Professor Pepper is involved with a number of groups, such as:
- clinical trials and evaluation unit – steering committee chair
- surgical research and education – Trust head
- structural heart disease care group – chair
- VAD, ischaemic mitral valve and aortic valve meetings – chair.
Professor John Pepper's current research activities are focused on:
- the development of an external support, specific to the individual patient with Marfan Syndrome
- the investigation of left ventricle remodelling in left ventricular assist device (LVAD) patients using micro-RNA technology
- the investigation of genes, networks and pathways in diseases of the thoracic aorta.
Professor Pepper has contributed chapters to numerous books and is regularly published in peer-reviewed journals.
Professor Pepper is a professor of cardiothoracic surgery at the National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College London.
He is a regular lecturer on academic days at Royal Brompton and Harefield hospitals, in the UK and abroad (mainly Europe, the Middle East, and Russia). He also trains visiting postgraduate students from Germany and Spain on a regular basis.
Professor Pepper is on the advisory board of the European Journal of Cardio-thoracic Surgery, which focuses on clinical and experimental advances in surgery of the heart, the great vessels and the chest.
He also is an examiner for the intercollegiate surgical board, Edinburgh Council, and clinical lead for Acute Aortic Dissection (AAD) in the North West Thames area.