Professor Kian Fan Chung is a consultant respiratory physician at Royal Brompton Hospital, where he treats both private and NHS patients.
He graduated from the University of London in 1975 and then trained in general and respiratory medicine in Oxford and London. He gained his research experience in San Francisco, USA.
In 1987, Professor Chung joined the consultant staff at Royal Brompton and Harefield hospitals. He has long-standing experience in managing chronic respiratory diseases in adults.
He has been a professor of respiratory medicine at the National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College London since 1996.
Professor Kian Fan Chung's areas of expertise include:
- asthma, especially the diagnosis and treatment of severe asthma
- chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- the diagnosis and treatment of a troubling cough.
Professor Kian Fan Chung is active in clinical research into asthma and cough, with the aim of improving detection and treatment of respiratory disease at an early stage.
His current interests are focused on the:
- role of smooth airway muscles
- effects of oxidant stress on muscle function
- mechanisms underlying corticosteroid resistance
- impact of environmental pollution and nanoparticles on the lungs.
He is an international authority on the treatment of chronic obstructive lung disease and has headed a group of international experts on guidelines for treating severe asthma.
He leads the experimental studies unit at the National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College London. He also leads the asthma consortium of the respiratory biomedical research unit (BRU) at Royal Brompton Hospital
Professor Chung is also a senior investigator for the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR).
Professor Kian Fan Chung is a member of the editorial boards of the journals:
- European Journal of Pharmacology
- European Journal of Clinical Pharmacology
- BMC Pulmonary Medicine
- Pulmonary Pharmacology Therapeutics
- Journal of Thoracic Disease
- Lancet Respiratory Medicine.
Professor Kian Fan Chung has lectured internationally at the major respiratory congresses in Europe, North America and Asia.