Professor Simon Padley is a consultant radiologist who treats private and NHS patients.
He studied physiology at King's College London, and medicine at Westminster Hospital Medical School (now part of Imperial College London), graduating in 1984. He completed further training in radiology at Addenbrooke's, Papworth, and Westminster hospitals. From 1991-2, he spent time at Vancouver General Hospital, Canada, as part of a thoracic imaging fellowship.
Since 1994, Professor Padley has been a consultant radiologist at Royal Brompton, Harefield and Chelsea & Westminster hospitals. He is also an honorary consultant at Royal Marsden Hospital.
In 2015, Professor Padley became director of radiology at Royal Brompton & Harefield NHS Foundation Trust.
He is a professor of practice in diagnostic and interventional radiology at Imperial College London, in the lung division for the National Heart and Lung Institute.
Professor Simon Padley is cardiac and thoracic radiologist, specialising in thoracic and vascular imaging and intervention, and general body imaging.
He leads the interventional radiology service and co-leads lung cancer and cardiac CT services. In his role at Chelsea & Westminster Hospital, he provides general, thoracic and interventional radiology.
He has specialist expertise in:
- thoracic high resolution CT scanning
- thoracic MR scanning
- bronchial and pulmonary angiography
- thoracic intervention and ultrasound
- cardiac CT angiography
- functional and morphological assessment.
Professor Simon Padley provides interventional radiology services related to lung cancer and vascular intervention. His technical skills include:
- complex lung intervention, including biopsy
- fiducial marker placement
- radiofrequency and microwave ablation
- endovascular stenting
- venous access
- bronchial artery embolisation.
He has served as a panel member for various organisations and groups:
- Cardiac CT guidance for the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE)
- Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency
- NIHR's Health Technology Assessment interventional devices group
- NHS London commissioning group for interventional radiology.
Professor Padley's research interests include:
- percutaneous ablation of lung tumours
- dose optimisation in CT
- novel imaging techniques in paediatric lung disease
- MRI of the large and small airways.
As well as his peer reviewed output, Professor Padley has delivered more than 60 invited presentations as a faculty member at academic meetings, written multiple review articles, 35 book chapters and has co-authored a book, Cardiovascular Computed Tomography.
Professor Padley teaches and speaks at many national and international meetings.
He supervises undergraduate students from Imperial College London who take part in department-based elective projects. He is also a regular panel member on the medical student interview boards at Imperial College London.