Professor Christoph A Nienaber is a consultant cardiologist at Royal Brompton Hospital where he treats private and NHS patients.
He started his academic career at the University Medical Centre Hamburg-Eppendorf, then undertook a temporary post at the University of California School of Medicine before returning to Hamburg. From there he chaired internal medicine and cardiology at Rostock University Hospital in Germany.
In May 2015, he became a consultant cardiologist at Royal Brompton Hospital, London. He is a member of the British Society of Interventional Cardiology and is an internationally renowned specialist in his field.
Professor Christoph A Nienaber’s clinical activities are focused on interventional treatment of acute and chronic coronary artery disease (percutaneous coronary intervention, PCI) and on the diagnosis and interventional (keyhole) treatment of chronic and acute aortic diseases such as:
- aneurysms of the aorta and peripheral vessels
- aortic dissection
- adult coarctation
- aortic stenosis
- hereditary connective tissue diseases such as Marfan syndrome, Loeys-Dietz syndrome and Ehler-Danlos syndrome.
He established the first integrated Marfan clinic at the University Medical Centre, Hamburg-Eppendorf, in 1992.
Professor Nienaber looks after outpatients and patients who require admission to hospital.
Professor Christoph A Nienaber's research encompasses modern interventional approaches to coronary, aortic and structural heart disease including:
- complex coronary lesions (PCI)
- transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI)
- thoracic endovascular aortic repair (TEVAR)
- left atrial appendage (LAA) occlusion
- atrial septal defect class II-occlusion
- patent foramen ovale
- non-surgical management of aortic coarctation and vascular malformations.
He is a founding member of the International Registry of Aortic Dissection (IRAD), a global network for acute aortic conditions. Through this, he has pioneered new endovascular techniques to treat aortic dissection and initiated and participated in guideline-changing trials.
Professor Christoph A Nienaber has published more than 600 peer-reviewed scientific papers, a number of book chapters and serves as an expert reviewer for a selection of journals, including:
- New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM)
- The Lancet
- European Heart Journal (EHJ)
- British Medical Journal (BMJ)
- and on the editorial board of various journals.
Professor Christoph A Nienaber is a professor of interventional cardiology.
He has a long-standing record as an academic teacher and international lecturer, served on various international guideline committees and was engaged in high profile medical legal cases in the US and Germany.