Mr Michael Dusmet is a consultant thoracic surgeon at Royal Brompton Hospital, where he treats private and NHS patients.
Mr Dusmet grew up in southern California then lived in Switzerland. He received his medical degree in 1981 from the University of Lausanne, Switzerland. He then trained as a general and thoracic surgeon in Switzerland.
After a two year fellowship in Toronto, Canada, Mr Dusmet became a thoracic surgeon.
Since 2002, he has been consultant thoracic surgeon at Royal Brompton Hospital, London.
Mr Michael Dusmet specialises in thoracic surgery. He treats a range of lung conditions:
- lung cancer
- tracheal stenosis
- oesophageal cancer
- mediastinal tumours and conditions
- thymic pathologies.
He is an expert in the surgical management of lung cancer. This includes:
- staging procedures including video-assisted mediastinal lymphadenectomy (VAMLA) - a “super-mediastinoscopy” (all the lymph nodes around the trachea are completely resected as opposed to selectively being sampled)
- video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS) lobectomy
- common and complex lung resections for cancer
- simple and complex sleeve resections.
His other special interest is surgery for intra-thoracic germ cell tumours:
- primary mediastinal germ cell tumours
- pulmonary metastases from germ cell tumours
- other mediastinal locations of metastatic germ cell tumours.
Furthermore, Mr Dusmet performs a number of other procedures, such as:
- all lung resections with a special interest in sleeve resections, both for lung cancer and benign diseases
- pulmonary metastasectomy
- surgery for emphysema (volume reduction surgery; resection of giant bullae)
- diagnostic bronchoscopy
- therapeutic bronchoscopy
- excision biopsy of lymph node for diagnosis (usually via mediastinoscopy)
- pneumothorax surgery
- surgery for empyema
- thoracotomy bullectomy
- diaphragmatic pathology.
Mr Dusmet is the designated thoracic surgeon for the testicular multidisciplinary team at Royal Marsden Hospital.
Mr Michael Dusmet has authored over 80 publications.
Mr Dusmet is a lecturer for the European Association for Cardio-Thoracic Surgery (EACTS), and regularly organises or co-organises EACTS courses in thoracic surgery. He is frequently invited to speak at national and international meetings.