Dr Michael Rigby is a consultant paediatric cardiologist at Royal Brompton Hospital who treats private and NHS patients.
He trained at Killingbeck Hospital in Leeds, Birmingham Children’s Hospital, John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford and the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto, Canada.
His clinical expertise covers all types of procedures but includes:
- closure of atrial septal defects, patent foramen ovale (PFO), patent ductus arteriosus (PDA) and ventricular septal defects
- balloon dilatation and stenting of pulmonary vein stenosis
- percutaneous pulmonary and tricuspid valve implantation
- balloon angioplasty and stenting of aortic coarctation
- venous stent implantation
- occlusion of coronary fistulas
- miscellaneous rare procedures.
Dr Michael Rigby has research interests in:
- interventional cardiac catheterisation in congenital heart disease
- percutaneous valve implantation
- percutaneous VSD closure
- scimitar syndrome
- heart and lung interaction
- echocardiography in interventional cardiology
- cardiac morphology and imaging.
Dr Michael Rigby runs annual courses of echocardiography in congenital heart disease and neonatal and infant heart disease.
He has lectured and taught in many countries across Europe, the USA, South America, Asia and the Middle East. He also arranged seminars and meetings in the UK and teaches international students at the Trust.
He has been involved with many international conferences during his career where he delivered lectures and contributed to postgraduate training, including:
- course director of Fetal Echocardiography, 19th World Congress in Obstetrics and Gynecology in Hamburg, Germany (September 2009)
- member of the international faculty, Cardiology Symposium at the University of Pernambuco in Recife, Brazil
- visiting professor paediatric cardiology at the University of Salvador in Bahia, Brazil (October 2009).
Among many engagements, he was a faculty member of the Brazillian Society for Pediatric Cardiology and the Society for Cardiothoracic Surgery. He was a faculty member of the European Society of Cardiothoracic Surgery and a guest lecturer at the Aarhus University, Denmark in 2011.
In 2012, Dr Rigby was a guest lecturer at the Academic Centre, Amsterdam, the Brazilian Society for Cardiology, the University of Aalbod Denmark and the Nordic Pediatric Cardiology meeting, Gothenburg, Sweden.
In 2016 and 2018, he was a guest lecturer and faculty member of the Brazilian Societies of Paediatric Cardiology and Adult Congenital Heart Disease in Belo Horizonte.
Dr Michael Rigby has published many papers on congenital heart disease and authored a number of books including:
- Paediatric Cardiology (Churchill Livingstone, 2010)
- Echocardiography in Congenital Heart Disease Made Simple (Imperial College Press, 2005)
- Colour Atlas of Congenital Heart Disease (Mosby - Wolf, 1995)
- The diagnosis of congenital heart disease (Castle House, 1985)
His latest book, Pediatric Heart Disease: A practical guide, written and edited with Professor Piers Daubeney and Professor Michael Gatzoulis, has been very popular around the world.