Miss Sofina Begum is a consultant thoracic surgeon at Royal Brompton Hospital, where she treats private and NHS patients.
She received her medical degree from the University of Leicester in 2004. During that time she finished an intercalated BSc in cardiovascular science and went on to complete her basic surgical training in London.
Miss Begum achieved her master's in surgical science then went on to higher surgical training in Yorkshire. She has completed training in uniportal (keyhole) minimally invasive surgery for lung cancer and lung volume reduction. She is also trained in endobronchial procedures for airways disease and severe emphysema.
Since 2017, Miss Begum has been a consultant at Royal Brompton Hospital.
Miss Sofina Begum's clinical expertise includes:
- adult and paediatric thoracic surgery
- surgery for primary lung cancer including lobectomy and segmentectomy performed via a uniportal video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS) approach
- primary and metastatic chest sarcoma
- surgery for advanced emphysema
- surgery for pneumothoraces and pleural effusions
- surgery involving the mediastinum
- airway stenting.
Miss Sofina Begum’s research interests include lung volume reduction surgery, minimally invasive surgery for early-stage lung cancer and chest wall sarcomas.
She is currently overseeing the development of a web-based patient education platform.